In New York, shoplifting is considered a crime. Shoplifting is also commonly referred to as larceny. If you are charged with shoplifting or larceny in New York, the associated penalties can be serious and harsh. These penalties can be hefty fines or even jail time. Since shoplifting is a crime, it may also be reported on your permanent record.
Shoplifting as Larceny in New York
Larceny is defined as committing an act where one person wrongfully takes, obtains or withholds, the property of another with the intent to deprive the other person of their property. There are different classifications of larceny, based on the amount that was stolen and if the suspect has any prior offenses. These classifications are as follows:
- Petit Larceny. A Class A misdemeanor that can result in jail time and a fine up to $1,000.00.
- Grand Larceny in the Fourth Degree. A Class E Felony in the fourth degree, which may carry a prison sentence of up to four years and/or a fine of $5,000.00 or the double of the shoplifter’s gain, whichever is greater.
- Grand Larceny in the Third Degree. A Class D Felon in the third degree, which can carry a prison sentence of up to seven years, and a fine of $5,000.00 or the double of the shoplifter’s gain, whichever is greater.
- Grand Larceny in the Second Degree. Shoplifting proper more than $50,000 or equal to or less than $1,000,000.00 is considered grand larceny in the second degree, or a Class C felony. The penalties for this Class C felony can include up to 15 years in prison and/or a fine no more than the greater of $5,000.00 or double the shoplifters gain.
- Grand Larceny in the First Degree. A Class B felony in the first degree that may include a prison sentence of up to 25 years and/or a fine no more than the greater of $5,000.00 or double the shoplifters gain.
If you have been charged with shoplifting, it is important that you consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney who can provide you with the legal defense you need.
Contact the Law Office of Raji S. Zeidan, P.C. today to schedule a consultation if you are in need of strong legal representation for any of your criminal defense and personal injury matters. We are here to help during your time of need.